What handbag is right for me?
Posted: Mar 27 2015
Choosing a new handbag to suit the season isn’t as easy as it sounds. Not surprising considering the vast array of styles, colours, sizes, and fabrics available. With so many on offer, and not all bags being suitable for every woman we are here to help you hunt down the perfect bag for you.
As a rule of thumb, when choosing a women’s handbag you should go for the opposite shape to your body type. It is important to try on the bag just as you would a pair of jeans. So head for the changing rooms and check your look in the mirror.
So which body type are you and which bag will compliment your shape?Tall and Slim
A rounded, slouchy bag will compliment your look if you are tall and slim. Add a shimmery or shiny texture to add contract. The Tote bag is a great choice but be sure to opt for longer handles that you can carry at your side to enhance your stylish stature. Avoid shoulder bags with short straps though as these will make you look even taller. Clutch bags are a great option for the evening too.Petite
Very large bags can overwhelm a petite frame, so opt for a medium size bag that will compliment the proportion of your smaller frame. Shoulder bags with long straps will make you look shorter and weighed down, whilst vertical shapes and patterns will make you look taller.Plus Size
Choose solid colour bigger bags with vertical detailing to draw the eye up and down. Bags that are too small will emphasize a fuller figure, so avoid these and opt for oversized handbags and large leather totes. A structured or boxy bag will compliment your curves beautifully too.Top Tips for Everyone
- If you are investing in an expensive bag make sure it is one you can often. It’s no good hiding a prized possession in the wardrobe.
- If you are buying a few bags for the new season pick a classic everyday bag and then go for fun, fashion and funky for the others.
- Always consider the event that you are buying the bag for and where possible choose a bag that can be re-used to give you value for money.
- Ensure that you consider storage options. Choose a bag that has enough space for the items you need to carry.
- When trying to match an outfit remember your bag doesn’t have to exactly match. Contrasting and complementary colours and styles are stylish too.
Do you have a favourite “old faithful” handbag you just can’t live without? Or perhaps you have you eye on something for the new season? Let us know in the comments.